Your domain name is your web address. It is a combination of your street address, phone number, and company name: it’s where you are online, how to find you, and what people call you. But all domain names are not created equal. Here are 7 reasons you should own your own domain name, with the most important one at the end!
- You don’t want to seem like fly-by-night operation. Having your own domain name engenders trust in your customers. It gives you credibility. Trust and credibility is your only leverage online.
- Your own domain name gives you flexibility to use whatever software you want. You may not be able to upload a state of the art website onto a free domain site.
- Your web address is part of your brand. It’s often the first impression a customer gets. If you own your own domain name, you get to choose how customers first see you.
- If you own your own domain name, you can use that domain name for your company email addresses. You will look more professional with your company’s domain name after the “@” sign, instead of Gmail or Yahoo.
- Owning your domain allows SEO experts to better optimize your website for search engines. Some search engines won’t even search through free domain sites. The more you can customize your site, the better your search engine results.
- Owning your own domain names gives you privacy, both for your business information, and your customers’ information. Owning your own site gives you better protection from hackers, and gives your customers better protection from identity thieves.
- And most importantly, owning your own domain name shows your customers that, at the very least, you’re successful enough to afford the relatively small price of a yearly domain name fee. If you can’t handle that, customers might not trust you to handle anything else.
Comments are closed.