When we talk about marketing, we know what we’re talking about and other people in the industry know what we’re talking about. However, when we talk to potential clients or new connections about marketing, 9 out of 10 times “oh okay… so you do social media?” is the response we get.
Although they are not wrong, they are unaware of the true depth of the marketing industry and every type it is composed of. With that being said, marketing is evolving faster than ever. So much so that there are currently 40 types of marketing – and counting! Here are just a few variations:
- Any promotion such as print ads, TV ads, cold calling, and email blasts.
- It’s called “outbound” since the brand is pushing their message out to all consumers, whether they want it or not.
- Attract > Annoy
- The majority of these efforts fall under digital marketing.
- The focus: creating valuable experiences that have a positive impact to attract prospects and customers to your website or services with relevant and helpful content.
- Leveraging smart speakers like Amazon Alexa and Google Home to educate people and answer questions about their topics of interest.
- Businesses can add social listening features to their website and advertisements for optimized searching but you can also get inventive by creating a Google action or Alexa skill.
- Shaping your brand’s public perception and creating an emotional connection through storytelling, creativity, & humor
- The goal: be thought-provoking and generate discussion so that your brand is remembered and associated with positive sentiment.
- The catch? You need to deeply understand your buyer persona and what resonates with them as well as what makes you unique
- Guerrilla Marketing
- Customer Marketing
- Event Marketing
- Experiential Marketing
- Cause Marketing
- AND 30+ MORE!
With that being said, you don’t have to indulge in every type just to be successful. Do your research, learn which ones are more effective for your company or your desired audience and contact a professional to get started.